This isn’t a new concept. Spirituality and exercise are certainly not strangers to each other. Yoga and tai chi are both perfect examples of aligning the mind, body and soul for spiritual, mental and physical betterment.
For some time now, I’ve been on the hunt for a fitness routine which caters to both my body and my Craft. Blending the two just makes sense for a mom to a soon-to-be toddler with little time on my hands. And while I certainly aim to add elements of both yoga and tai chi to my routine, I want to create a wellness practice which aligns with my spiritual cornerstones as a witch- nature, energy flow, and astrology.
This is what I call Body Magick.
Elemental Body Language
One of the key aspects of Body Magick is its focus on physical movements which mimic the elements. For example, this can be done by incorporating:
- flowing movements such as yoga & tai chi to invoke water
- powerful, grounding poses to invoke earth like those seen in pilates where balance is key
- light, aerial movements like dance or some other type of cardio to invoke air
- energetic and strengthening movements such as weightlifting to invoke fire
We can also treat our workout space as an altar and draw from the physical embodiments of the elements.
- Draw powerful and vibrant energy from the flame of a candle to help get you through a particularly grueling workout. Just make sure it’s at a safe distance in a fireproof container.
- Create a crystal grid in front of or around your yoga mat.
- Always begin your practice with a smoke bundle or aromatherapy oil anointing.
- Empower your pre-workout meal with the intention of increased sustenance.
- Bless your water bottle with words of power or make a gem elixir using various
water-safe tumbled stones like carnelian or tiger’s eye.
- Use sound magick and create a music playlist for your workout. Let the beat and
rhythm fuel your movements.
Even if you prefer to workout at a gym, you can still wear a crystal bracelet or use fixed sprays to bring more of your practice into a public setting without drawing too much attention. One of my favorite subtle ways to connect with fire is through a Sweat Offering, where I absorb the heat and the energy of the Sun, either through a hike or some other outdoor activity. It’s an invigorating yet simple purification and protection ritual.
By incorporating these elements into the fitness routine, Body Magick practitioners can connect with nature and their bodies on a deeper level while working to achieve their wellness goals.
Obviously movement is essential to Body Magick. One of the fundamental concepts within Chinese medicine is that of Qi (pronounced chi). Qi translates to vital energy and it is always in a continuous flux-meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. However when Qi becomes stagnant or blocked, it can lead to many physical, mental and spiritual health issues such as depression, anger, pain, etc.
As a Body Magick practitioner, you can easily spot energetic stagnation within your body through a simple body scan while stretching before a workout. Feel your body for stiffness, heaviness, pain, etc.
Something I’m excited to try is Yin and Yang Yoga for the purpose of maintaining a healthy energetic flow. Yin Yoga targets your deep connective tissue, ligaments and joints where stagnant Qi tends to settle. This type of yoga is more meditative with slower and deeper movements in which you hold poses for longer periods of time in order to stretch and loosen Qi stagnation. Once energetic flow has been restored, you can practice Yang Yoga which is more rhythmic and fast paced to help pump fresh Qi through your blood and muscles.
Even if you don’t have time for a full yoga session, a five minute stretch in the morning or before bed can help achieve energetic flow. Other ways to regulate Qi include:
- getting restful sleep
- belly breathing
- eating more ‘warming’ foods such as roasted chicken, grilled vegetables and spices such turmeric, ginger, cumin and coriander.
- managing stress relief and engaging in shadow work to face the source of our issues.
If you’re an astro-witch like myself, you pay close attention to astrological weather. It’s much easier to align with the cosmos rather than fight the tide, especially during retrogrades. But even more than flowing with the cosmos, you can go a step further and use the planets to your advantage.
Now I’m not gonna lie- astrology is not easy to understand. But once you have a general idea of the basics and can comprehend the language of the planets, you can plan your workouts and nutrition accordingly.
I’m excited to read Body Astrology: A Cosmic Guide to Health, Healing, and Harnessing the Power of the Planets by astrologer, nutritionist and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist- Claire Gallagher. I think this book will take my game to the next level.
How to Create Your Own Body Magick Practice
Creating your own Body Magick practice can be a deeply personal and fulfilling experience. To get started, consider the following steps:
1. Determine your goals: What do you hope to achieve through your Body Magick
practice? Are you looking to build strength and flexibility, enhance your spellcasting abilities, or promote spiritual well-being?
2. Choose your elements: Which elements do you feel drawn to? Consider incorporating movements that represent earth, air, fire, and water into your practice.
3. Select your tools: What tools do you want to use to enhance your practice? Consider using crystals, essential oils, candles, incense, or music to create a sacred space.
4. Create a routine: Develop a routine that incorporates physical movements, such as yoga poses, weight lifting, or dance; and spiritual practices, such as meditation or visualization exercises.
5. Spend time outdoors and connect with nature. Take a hike, go for a swim, or simply sit outside and breathe in the fresh air.
6. Embrace your personal power: Remember that your Body Magick practice is unique to you. Embrace your personal power and let it guide you on your journey.
By creating your own Body Magick practice, you can connect with your body, mind, and spirit on a deeper level and promote a healthy and spiritual lifestyle. Remember to listen to your body and adjust your routine as needed. With dedication and practice, you can create a meaningful and fulfilling Body Magick practice that enhances every aspect of your life.